This basil lemonade electrolyte fizz recipe will add some fun and flavor to the electrolytes needed when eating keto. All for zero carbs and calories too!
If you have been eating low carb or keto for very long, you may have discovered that you need extra electrolytes. At first I didn’t believe it because I eat very clean and thought I was getting everything I needed. Well, I’m not one to add much salt to my food and I eat cheese, so I thought I was good on the sodium. I couldn’t figure out why I was getting lightheaded every time I stood up. Like to the point of seeing stars. Of course if you are having lightheadedness you should see a doctor.
Well, long story short, I needed to increase my electrolytes. Especially since I work out daily, I just wasn’t getting what I needed from food sources anymore. There is plenty of sodium in processed food, but when you don’t eat it, you might need to supplement. This article from Diet Doctor further discusses electrolytes and keto.
I found this Key Nutrients electrolyte powder on Amazon and it tastes pretty good. I take it at least once a day, sometime twice a day. While the lemonade flavor is good with just water, it’s amazing a little dressed up. This basil lemonade electrolyte fizz is a fun afternoon cold beverage that can be enjoyed any time of day!
- Fill glass with ice.
- Crush and rip basil to release aroma/flavor and add to glass. (Try to keep leaves big enough so they don't go in the straw.)
- Add electrolyte powder.
- Fill glass with lime flavored sparkling water.
- Mix well and enjoy.
Don't be afraid to get heavy handed with the basil! I added more because I loved the way it compliments the lemon flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Electrolyte Powder, Lemonade Hydration Supplement: 90 Servings, Carb, Calorie & Sugar Free, Delicious Keto Replenishment Drink Mix. 6 Key Electrolytes - Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium & More.
- LaCroix Sparkling Water, Key Lime 12oz Cans, 12 Pack, Naturally Essenced, 0 Calories, 0 Sweeteners, 0 Sodium
- Eco at Heart Wide Stainless Steel Drinking Straw (8.5in Length 0.37in Diameter)
- Basil Seed Packet Collection (8 Individual seed Packets) Non-GMO Seeds by Seed Needs
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 16 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Sodium: 110mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g