Make these keto white cheddar meatballs for dinner or for a delicious game day snack!
Traditional meatballs, while delicious, are deceiving because most recipes contain breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs help with the moisture of the meatballs and prevent the meatballs from becoming too dense with meat, but it also means a ton of carbs that you don’t realize that you are eating. Pretty sad really.
But chin up buttercup! You know that there is a great zero carb substitute for breadcrumbs right? Ground pork rinds! I’ll be perfectly honest in that I was a bit hesitant to jump on the pork rind train. Why? I don’t really know. Now, I love using them in recipes.
I have been disappointed that many of the best tasting, flavored pork rinds contain maltodextrin, which is a big no-no on keto (and for anybody really.) Maltodextrin has a higher glycemic index than plain sugar. Of course, I had already added them into the recipe when I happened to notice the ingredients. It’s a great reminder for you and me to really read the labels of what you are buying.
For this recipe, I used jarred marinara sauce because it’s convenient and there are quite a few sugar-free options out there now. Rao’s is one that is readily available at the grocery stores. I used Yo Mama’s Marinara, which I found on Amazon. I really like the flavor and the ingredients are really clean!
I love this thickly grated Tillamook White Cheddar. If you can find it at your store then buy it all! Kidding, don’t do that, leave some for your keto neighbors. If you are a traditionalist, then use mozzarella. The white cheddar adds an interesting flavor profile to the meatballs and really compliments the marinara.
I like big balls. There, I said it! These meatballs are about 3 inches in diameter. If you prefer your balls smaller, then make them that way. Nobody is going to judge the size of your balls, especially since they taste so good!
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Air Fried Keto Thai Chili Cauliflower Bites
- Quick and Easy Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Keto Tuna Cucumber Rolls
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, ground pork rinds, eggs, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper until well mixed.
- Mix in 3/4 cup of the shredded white cheddar cheese.
- Form meatballs, about 3 inches in diameter, and place in oven safe baking dish.
- Pour marinara sauce over meatballs.
- Sprinkle with remaining white cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until meatballs are cooked all the way through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- McCormick California Style Garlic Powder With Parsley
- REDMOND Real Sea Salt
- Sharp White Cheddar Shredded Cheese
- Pork Panko - 0 Carb Pork Rind Breadcrumbs
- Rao's Homemade All Natural Marinara Sauce
- Hoboken Farms Marinara Gourmet Pasta Sauce - No Sugar Added
- Yo Mama's Keto Friendly Marinara Pasta Sauce