Make this lupin flour biscuit and sausage stuffing recipe for your holiday meal! You won’t even know it’s less than 5 net carbs per serving!
With Thanksgiving nearly here, I wanted to make a sausage stuffing that I feel good about eating. We all know that stuffing is one of the best parts of the holiday meal, and this year I don’t have to miss out.
I used my lupin flour biscuits as the bread for the stuffing. I like them because (to me) they taste just like a regular flour biscuit would. I have had some people say that the lupin flour has a bitter taste and that they cannot tolerate it, but I’ve had many others say that they don’t taste bitterness at all. I don’t know if it’s a taste bud thing or what, but I love cooking with it!
For this recipe I made two batches of the lupin flour biscuits, so 24 total biscuits. The only thing I did different was not put the bit of butter on top of the biscuits before baking. Why? Because I wanted to reduce the moisture just a bit, so that they dry out quicker.
Once baked, I cut the biscuits into little pieces and set them on a cookie sheet and let dry out over night (lightly covered with some foil.) You can dry them out in the oven at 200F for a couple of hours too, just make sure to stir them around a bit and keep and eye on them.
Once, the biscuit pieces were good and dry, I made a simple sausage stuffing. Oh my word, it turned out delicious! You’d never know this lupin flour biscuits and sausage stuffing is low carb!
OTHER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
- Keto Brussels Sprouts au Gratin with Bacon
- Cheesy Cheddar Cauliflower Rice
- Keto Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sausage
- 24 lupin flour biscuits (click here for recipe) cut into small pieces and dried overnight
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Make the lupin flour biscuits, using this recipe (double the recipe and omit the pat of butter on the biscuits prior to baking.) Cut up the biscuits into small pieces and leave out overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Set dried lupin flour biscuit pieces in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large pan, melt butter. Add chopped onion and celery and sauté until the vegetables are softened. Add in minced garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add vegetable mixture to the biscuit pieces.
- Prepare ground sausage in the same pan as the vegetables until cooked and well broken up. Add to mixing bowl with vegetables and biscuits.
- Add the chicken broth, beaten egg and chopped herbs to the biscuit mixture and stir well. Season with black pepper.
- Transfer to a greased baking dish and bake, uncovered for 60 - 70 minutes, stirring the dish occasionally to prevent top from drying out.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 31.75gSaturated Fat: 16.8gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 547mgCarbohydrates: 10.5gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: 5.8gSugar: 752gProtein: 14.75g
Nutritional information provided for recipes is a courtesy to my readers. I do my best to be as accurate as possible, but you should do your own nutrition information calculations. I expressly disclaim any and all liability of any kind with respect to any act or omission wholly or in part in reliance on anything contained in this website.