This recipe for chicken, zucchini and cheese waffles is great for meal prepping and a tasty, keto alternative to traditional waffles.
Yes, you read that right. Savory waffles made with chicken. Is that weird? Maybe. But you won’t think it’s weird after you try them.
These savory keto chicken, zucchini and cheese waffles are perfect for eating on the go. I plan on taking them with me on my upcoming road trip. It’s great to have keto food that is easy to pack and easy to eat when you are stuck in a car for hours.
This adventure with keto chicken, zucchini and cheese waffles all came about after I purchased this mini waffle maker. It’s so cute and aqua and I just love it! I love it for multiple reasons. The first, obviously is all because of the perfect size. The four inches makes for great portions, as well as easy to freeze. Also, waffles are fun. The kiddos like them for their non-keto breakfasts.
So with these keto chicken, zucchini and cheese waffles you want to get the shredded zucchini really dry. I grated two medium zucchinis with a cheese grater, then wrung out the zucchini in a clean flour sack towel. Then, I put it in the colander and set it in the refrigerator for a few hours, which really dried out the zucchini.
Originally, I was just going to make zucchini and cheese waffles, but I had a premonition of my significant other saying, “what meat are we having for dinner?” Of course, all the beef was still frozen and we are out of propane for the grill. But I nearly always have shredded chicken breast in the fridge, so I just figured I’d throw it into the batter and see what happened. Boy, I’m glad that I did it tastes so good!
Other keto recipes you will love:
- Cheesy Zucchini Chicken Casserole
- Keto Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sausage
- Cheesy Cheddar Cauliflower Rice
- 4 ounces chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 5 ounces zucchini, shredded and water squeezed out (approx 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- avocado oil spray
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Grate the zucchini with a cheese grater or in a food processor. Using a clean towel, wring out the excess water from zucchini.
- In a bowl, combine shredded chicken breast, cheeses, baking powder, garlic salt, onion powder and almond flour.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the two eggs, then stir them into the zucchini and chicken mixture.
- Heat up waffle iron. Once hot, spray with avocado oil spray.
- Spread the zucchini chicken batter on to hot waffle maker and cook until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat process until all batter is cooked.
- Let waffles cool before freezing.
Cooking time and the size of waffles will vary depending on waffle makers.
For the mini (4 inch) waffle maker, approximately 1/4 cup of batter was used for each waffle.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 waffle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g