Made on a sheet pan, this keto bacon and roasted cabbage side dish has only two ingredients and is full of flavor!
Cabbage has become one of my favorite vegetables. I have always loved sauerkraut, so when I started seeing recipes for roasted cabbage, I had to try it. Of course bacon and cabbage go together just as well as bacon and eggs do. Seriously!
This recipe is simple, especially since it is only two ingredients, bacon and cabbage. I buy the double thick peppered bacon from the butcher at the and it makes some really delicious chewy bacon. The trick is how set it up the bacon and cabbage to roast them.
I lined a high sided baking sheet with aluminum foil, then cut the cabbage just thin enough so that the baking rack would fit over it. All you need to do is place the cabbage on the baking sheet, place the rack over the cabbage and spread out strips of bacon on the rack. I baked five bacon strips, but only cut up three of them to put in the cabbage.
After the bacon is done cooking, I didn’t feel that the cabbage was roasted enough. So I removed the rack of bacon and place the cabbage back in the oven until it was sufficiently roasted.
When you bake this, depending on your bacon, there will be some excess bacon grease. To get rid of this, slightly tilt the baking sheet while the cabbage cools to let the excess grease pool into a corner, which you can then discard.
Chop up the bacon and the cabbage, mix together and enjoy! The crispy bits of roasted cabbage are so yummy!
- 1/2 head (20 ounces) green cabbage
- 5 slices bacon
- Line a high-sided (approximately 1 inch) baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Cut cabbage into wedges small enough to fit under baking rack on the baking sheet.
- Place the oven-safe rack over the cabbage and lay out the bacon strips.
- Put the baking sheet in a cold oven and turn it on to 410F.
- Let the bacon cook for 15 minutes and start checking on the bacon, removing the bacon from heat once cooked. Cooking time for the bacon can depend on the thickness.
- Continue to let the cabbage roast for another 5 - 7 minutes until it appears browned on the edges.
- Remove the cabbage from the oven. Tilt one edge of the baking sheet lower so that the excess bacon grease can pool and can be removed.
- Chop up bacon and cabbage and mix together and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: Approx 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 100 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 14mg Sodium: 253mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 7g